Phoenix Gynecomastia Guides
Are You a Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery in Phoenix?
Last year alone, 26,839 patients opted for male breast reduction surgery in the US. Known as gynecomastia, enlarged breast tissue in men can affect the way a man’s body looks as well as how they feel about themselves.
For those considering Phoenix gynecomastia surgery, it’s important to understand if you’re a good candidate and whether the procedure will help you achieve your body goals.
Do You Have Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia can occur at any age and is characterized by over-developed or enlarged breasts in men. Causes include hormonal changes, certain drugs, excessive weight gain, and hereditary conditions.
Symptoms you may be experiencing with gynecomastia include the following.
- Swollen and enlarged breasts
- Sagging breasts
- Stretched areolas
- Tender chest area
- Fibrous and moveable tissue below the nipple
- Asymmetrical breasts
Your surgeon will be able to determine the underlying cause of the gynecomastia and recommend the right procedure. Assessments may include testing your endocrine function, performing detailed measurements (size, shape, nipple placement, and skin quality), and taking photographs for your medical records. The type of gynecomastia you’re experiencing will influence the corrective procedure your surgeon will recommend. For example, glandular tissue gynecomastia is caused by excess breast tissue under the nipple-areolar complex, so surgery will involve removing the bulging tissue. Alternatives treatments include liposuction for localized fat in the chest and skin tightening procedures for excess loose skin.
Should You Have the Surgery?
During your consultation, your surgeon will discuss why you want the procedure and what your body goals are. Not everyone is a good candidate for surgery, but there are certain factors which may determine whether you choose to go ahead with the treatment.
Surgery may be the right choice for candidates:
- experiencing emotional discomfort and low self-confidence due to their gynecomastia
- hiding their condition due to self-image issues e.g., by avoiding intimacy and certain clothing or physical activities (such as swimming)
- for whom alternative medical treatments, actions or therapies won’t correct the condition
- who feel bothered that their breasts are too large
- who’ve been through puberty and won’t experience further breast development (sometimes gynecomastia can self-correct)
- who are healthy and fit enough for both surgery and the healing process afterward
- who are in a normal weight range and don’t plan on losing significant amounts of weight
- with specific body goals and how they want their body to look
While adolescents can benefit from surgery, future procedures may be required if breast development has not stabilized.
Most of all, deciding to undergo gynecomastia surgery should be your own choice, using the guidance of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assess your needs and see how they can help.
Want to Discuss Your Needs?
Considering Phoenix gynecomastia surgery? Dr. Mazaheri is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon in Scottsdale, Arizona and is a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons with over 20 years of experience. Taking the time to listen to your needs, he’ll work closely with you to establish your goals and find the right solution for you.
Book your consultation now through drmazaheri.com.