Liposuction Guide – Thinking About Liposuction?
Liposuction Guide – Choosing to undergo any surgery is no easy decision to make. For liposuction patients, it’s usually a choice made to improve their lives and restore body confidence. In 2017 alone, there were 246,354 liposuction procedures carried out in the US, securing its place as the nation’s second most popular cosmetic procedure after breast augmentation.
For the best liposuction experience, it’s important to understand what the surgery entails. An experienced surgeon will take you through your choices as well as recommending the right procedure for your specific situation.
Do I Need Liposuction?
If there are areas of localized fat in your body, you may feel liposuction is your only option. It’s a procedure that removes excess fat deposits from specific areas of the body when no other action has corrected the problem.
A good surgeon will only recommend surgery which is appropriate for both your needs and body profile, meaning that you’ll need to undergo a detailed consultation and examination to determine the best solution for you.
What makes a good candidate for liposuction?
- You have areas of excess localized fat
- You’re in a healthy weight range
- Healthy eating and exercise have not improved problem areas
- You have good muscle tone & skin elasticity
- You’re a non-smoker
- You’re in good health with no life-threatening medical conditions which may impair healing or your ability to cope with the surgery
- You have a positive outlook about the procedure
- You have specific body goals in mind
Liposuction is not recommended:
- For the treatment of cellulite
- When body shape issues are related to loose skin rather than excess fatty deposits
- If you’re planning to lose a lot of weight
What Does Liposuction Involve?
Some of the most common areas requiring liposuction include the hips, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, waist, breast and chest area, upper arms, neck, and even the face. While it shouldn’t be used as a weight-loss tool, liposuction can help slim and contour specific areas of the body and leave long-lasting results when maintained in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.
As most body fat is located underneath the skin on top of the muscle tissue, liposuction is an ideal method for removing fat via a surgical vacuum. Tumescent liposuction is a common technique used to reduce blood loss and discomfort during the procedure.
During liposuction surgery:
- A sterile, tumescent fluid is injected under the skin, containing local anesthetic to numb the area, epinephrine to constrict blood vessels (to minimize bleeding), and an electrolyte solution for aiding fat removal.
- Liposuction is carried out through small incisions with a thin and hollow cannula.
- With steady back and forth movements, the surgeon uses the cannula to create small tunnels in the fat layers, loosening excess fat in the area.
- Dislodged fat is removed through the incisions via a suction device connected to the cannula.
- The incisions will then be stitched and a dressing applied.
Liposuction Recovery & Aftercare
After your liposuction surgery, results will be easier to see once swelling and fluid retention has reduced, and over the next few months, your new, lean shape will become more visible. You will also need to wear a supportive custom garment for 6 to 8 weeks to help with the contouring process, aid skin to the recoil, and control swelling. You’ll be given full aftercare instructions by your surgeon.
Where to Find the Best Liposuction in Phoenix
Dr. Mazaheri is a respected, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with over 20 years of experience. His specialist liposuction services in Phoenix ensure your individual needs are listening to, working closely with you to find solutions to reach your personal goals.
Book a consultation with Dr. Mazaheri to find out more and discuss your requirements.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.