What Is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Last year alone, 27,760 men in the US had gynecomastia surgery. This makes it the third most popular cosmetic surgery amongst the US male population, behind eyelid surgery and nose reshaping.
Simply put, gynecomastia is the condition of enlarged breasts in men. The surgery entails a breast reduction procedure to resolve such issues.
From avoiding intimacy to feeling self-conscious when taking your top off in public, gynecomastia can lower a man’s self-confidence and cause emotional discomfort. For those who live with it, it can hold them back from doing the things they enjoy.
Gynecomastia surgery can restore your confidence, making it a worthwhile surgery with impressive results.
Rest assured, Dr. Mazaheri aims to provide a rewarding experience in the process he takes you through, as well as achieving your desired results.
What You’ll Receive
- Access to an experienced, reputable plastic surgeon
- Time to explore what’s causing the gynecomastia
- The right procedure for your situation and goals
- Expert advice, support, and time to talk about your concerns
- Outstanding results which will leave you more than happy
- Personal, customized service and aftercare advice
As a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Mazaheri has over 20 years of experience in procedures such as this, including both cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries, producing natural-looking results. He will only recommend the necessary procedures to achieve your personal goals, using his expertise to establish how to produce the best results.
About the Procedure
Gynecomastia, a condition of over-developed or enlarged breast in men, is common in men of any age and can be corrected with a safe outpatient procedure. It can be result of hormonal changes, heredity conditions, disease or the use of certain drugs.
This condition can cause emotional discomfort and impair self-confidence; some men may even avoid certain physical activities and intimacy, simply to hide their condition.
What Patients Need to Know About Gynecomastia Surgery
Gynecomastia surgery results are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision lines will fade. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover from surgery.
The final results of your gynecomastia surgery will appear over the next few months. Incision lines are permanent, but will continue to fade over time.
Are You a Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery?
There can be many reasons for gynecomastia to occur, but surgery should be considered in the following cases:
- Breast development has stabilized (If occurring in adolescents, breast development may continue, so you may wish to wait in these cases to see if the situation rectifies itself)
- You have self-image issues due to the gynecomastia and have specific body goals in mind
- The size of your breasts is physically uncomfortable
- Alternative corrective treatments are not an option
- Your surgeon will also check you’re physically well enough for the surgery and that you don’t have any conditions which could impair recovery.
Common Questions and Concerns
What happens during a gynecomastia consultation?
Breast tissue develops during puberty, with symptoms of gynecomastia subsiding over time as hormones stabilize. However, there are some instances in which breast tissue grows more than average, causing permanent gynecomastia. It can also affect men at any stage of life as they go through body changes. Luckily, the issue can be corrected during a safe outpatient procedure by a plastic surgeon.
When a male patient comes in with gynecomastia, one of the most important aspects of a consultation is locating the root cause of the enlargement so that the right surgical procedure can be recommended.
Sometimes breast enlargements look worse or become more apparent over time. Perhaps a man has put on weight, or their skin laxity has increased with age. In some cases, diet and exercise may improve the situation if caused by fatty components, but loose skin after weight loss can also worsen gynecomastia. A good surgeon will be able to advise on the best course of action, and true gynecomastia will be resistant to any other corrective methods.
Determining a cause & solution
- Glandular tissue gynecomastia – This is when there’s excess breast tissue under the nipple-areolar complex, causing the area to protrude. During gynecomastia surgery, the surgeon will make a small incision around the nipple-areolar complex to remove the bulging tissue (around the size of a golf ball).
- Accumulation of localized fat in the chest – This can mimic the visual appearance of gynecomastia, and in these cases, liposuction is the appropriate procedure to undergo. The fat can be removed by making several small incisions around the area and taking the fat out through these ports.
- Excess loose skin – If loose skin is causing gynecomastia, a skin tightening procedure can be performed.
The issue may be bilateral (affects both breasts) or unilateral (affecting one breast only).
It’s only once your surgeon establishes the cause of the gynecomastia that they’ll be able to give you an accurate quote and recommend the best course of treatment.
Dr. Mazaheri’s Gynecomastia Services
Dr. Mazaheri is Scottsdale’s premier plastic surgeon, having performed thousands of cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries and procedures over two decades.
Services are customized to your needs, so if booking a consultation, you’ll have the peace of mind that Dr. Mazaheri will take you through the best options for your individual circumstances. It’s normal to feel anxious about undergoing a procedure, so ensure you discuss your concerns with him.
Outstanding Results & Aftercare
The results of gynecomastia surgery are instantly visible, and you’ll see a huge improvement in your appearance straight away. Dressings will be applied to incision areas, and a support garment can be used to support chest contouring and minimize swelling from the surgery. Over time, results will continue to improve as the swelling reduces and incision lines fade, leaving you with an impressive outcome. Check out our before and after gynecomastia surgery photos.
Dr. Mazaheri and his friendly team will provide you with all the aftercare instructions and advice you’ll need to recover quickly, aid healing and how to look after the sites of the procedure. They’ll also discuss follow-up visits to schedule.
Gynecomastia surgery changes the lives of those suffering from the condition, giving them their confidence back while improving their self-image.
Comments are closed.