What Does Scottsdale Breast Lift Surgery Involve?
While breast augmentation remains the most popular cosmetic surgery to have in the US, according to US statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, a total of 105,219 women chose to undergo a breast lift in 2017, otherwise known as a mastopexy. This was a 4% increase from 2016, indicating the procedure is on the rise. The aim of mastopexy surgery is to tighten the skin and lift the breasts, giving them a firmer and ‘perkier’ appearance.
However, if you’re considering breast lift surgery in Scottsdale, it’s important to understand what the procedure entails and if it’s the right solution for your body goals.
Should I Have Breast Lift Surgery?
With any surgery, it’s important to find a good surgeon who not only explains all of your options to you, but listens to your individual needs, reasons for wanting the surgery, and the results you want to achieve.
Good candidates for breast lift surgery:
- You have heredity body issues
- You’ve noticed changes in your breasts after having children, breastfeeding or significant weight loss
- You’ve experienced a loss of firmness in your breasts
- Your skin has lost its elasticity due to aging, causing breasts to sag
- Your areolas have enlarged or your nipples are pointing in a downwards direction
- Your breasts feel or look uneven with one breast sagging lower than the other
- Your breasts appear flatter and have changed shape to become more elongated
- You’ve lost self-confidence and have negative feelings towards how your breasts look
- You’re a non-smoker and are in good physical health
Breast lift surgery is not recommended if:
- You only want to change the size of your breasts
- You only want your breasts to look fuller
Types of Breast Lifts
The best breast lift surgeons in Scottsdale will take you through your options during your consultation, working closely with you to choose the right type of lift for your needs. The procedure and technique chosen should not only lift the breasts up but reshape and contour the breasts too.
When discussing the type of breast lift which will yield the best results, a good surgeon will consider how much the breasts sag which is graded by degrees of ‘breast ptosis.’ The most severe form of ptosis is Grade 3 which is when the nipples point towards the ground. From your measurements, ptosis (the greater the sag, the more skin that needs to be removed), and individual needs, your surgeon will discuss the right surgery for you.
- A small, crescent-shaped piece of skin is taken from above the nipple-areolar complex.
- A small scar will be left at the top of your nipple.
- This is the smallest lift you can have.
Benelli or Donut Lifts
- A donut-shaped piece of skin is removed from around the nipple-areolar complex.
- A scar is will be left around the areolas.
Vertical or Lollipop Lifts
- The scar will be left both around the nipple-areolar complex and coming down the front of the breast vertically to the crease below.
Wise or Anchor Lifts
- The incision is made around the nipple-areolar complex, vertically coming down the breast, and horizontally under the breast in the crease (in an anchor shape).
- This is appropriate for those with the highest degree of ptosis.
What Happens During Breast Lift Surgery?
All breast lift surgeries are done under anesthesia to provide a comfortable experience.
Once the excess skin has been removed, the breast tissue is lifted and reshaped, improving firmness and contours. Enlarged areolas can also be reduced by removing skin from around the perimeter. The remaining skin is tightened around the breast area with the nipple-areolar complex moved to a natural, youthful position. Incisions are then closed and you’re ready to go back to recovery.
Results will be instantly visible and will improve as swelling reduces and incisions heal. By keeping the nipple-areolar complex attached to the underlying breast tissue, nipple sensation should return to normal after the surgery. Your surgeon will give you all the post-operative instructions you need to maximize results and have a rewarding experience.
Discuss Your Needs with Scottsdale’s Premier Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Mazaheri
If you’d like to discuss your breast lift surgery needs with a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon in Scottsdale with over 20 years of experience, book your consultation now with Dr. Mazaheri.