There are many reasons women may consider getting breast implants. Common reasons include:
- Replacing lost volume due to weight loss or pregnancy
- Increase size
- Create a balance between different sized and shaped breasts
- Reconstruction following a mastectomy
- Improved self-confidence
The number one question we get asked about this procedure is, “Silicone or Saline?”
It is very important to understand the different options and to have the help of a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Mazaheri to assist you in making an informed decision. There are many factors to consider, like your body size and shape as well as what materials your implants will be made of. Dr. Mazaheri utilizes a full 1-hour consultation to discuss your goals and perform a physical exam, so you can decide together which option is best for you!
All breast implants are made of either silicone or saline. Both are FDA-approved and achieve similar results, so what’s the difference, and which one is right for you?
What are Silicone Implants?
Silicone is a polymer that can appear as a colorless liquid, gel, or a rubber-like substance. It can be found in more than half of the products we use daily and is used in other healthcare fields, especially ophthalmic procedures. When it comes to breast implants, silicone is one of the most well-known and often used in breast augmentation. The silicone implants are comprised of a rubber-like shell filled with silicone gel. They can vary in surface, shape, volume, and thickness.
What Are Saline Implants?
Saline is a solution of water and salt that has many uses in the medical community. One of which is breast implant materials. This consists of a silicone shell as well; however, it is filled with saline solution rather than silicone gel. These implants come with either a smooth or a textured surface and can vary in size.
While there appear to be many similarities between the two, there are also many ways in which they are different that go beyond their material composition. Let’s break down some of the most important differences between the two by identifying the pros and cons of each style of implant.
Pros and Cons of Silicone Implants
Let’s begin by assessing the pros and cons of silicone. With this style of implant, you can expect:
- It feels similar to human fat, giving them a more natural look and feel.
- They come in multiple shapes and sizes, allowing you to choose your desired options before being implanted.
- Different sized implants may be used to even out asymmetrical breasts.
- Approved for use in those 22 and older. This is an important note because even though it is not a law, a manufacturer will not honor the warranty on implants for anyone younger than 22.
- Slightly more expensive than saline implants.
- Any implant can rupture, but silicone implant rupture may go undetected.
- For safety purposes, it is recommended that you check for ruptures every few years through an MRI.
Pros and Cons of Saline Implants
Now let’s weigh the pros and cons of saline implants.
- Because an implant is inserted empty and then filled with saline solution once inserted, this requires a much smaller, less noticeable incision.
- Implants can be filled to different sizes, evening out asymmetrical breasts.
- More affordable than silicone implants.
- If a leak occurs, saline solution can safely be absorbed by the body and you will know right away if a rupture occurs because your breast will look deflated.
- It has been reported that saline implants are more visible underneath the skin and can sometimes develop ripples or wrinkling.
- Some say that saline implants look and feel less natural, often being compared to water balloons under the skin.
Which Should I Choose? Saline or Silicone?
While each style has been deemed medically safe by the FDA, you want to seek out additional guidance. Reach out to a reputable board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Mazaheri, who can help you achieve your body goals, from choosing the right implant to what size best suits your frame.
With over 25 years of experience, Dr. Mazaheri specializes in breast augmentation, providing quality cosmetic surgery services to people all over Scottsdale, AZ.
If you are struggling with your decision to undergo breast augmentation, contact Dr. Mazaheri today to book a consultation and gain more insight into which option is right for you.
Comments are closed.